Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Good-Bye Michael Scott

I've heard that this upcoming season of The Office, season 7, will be the last for Steve Carell's character Michael Scott. This is clearly a very sensible career move for Steve Carell. In movies like "40 Year Old Virgin", "Dan in Real Life", and "Despicable Me", he has shown himself to be a compelling leading man. Contrarily, The Office of the last three seasons were clearly inferior to the first three seasons. Some of the late episodes of Season 5, those dealing with The Michael Scott Paper Company, were some of the best in the show's history. But Season 6 was fairly lackluster. The Jim and Pam story is pretty boring these days, Ryan's character isn't particularly interesting either. Michael and Dwight basically carry the show, and I would say that Michael carries more of the load than Dwight. I don't know if the show will go off the air after Michael leaves, but I think it should. It's already lost a lot, and it's hard to see how it would be even reasonably good without Michael (unless something crazy happens, like they hire Tracy Morgan).
I hope The Office ends on a high note, with a great Season 7. And I hope Carell goes on to a great movie career and avoids a Will Farrell/Adam Sandler style I-don't-give-a-crap-anymore mid-life period.

No comments:

Post a Comment